Jones County Superior Court
110 S. Jefferson St, Gray, GA 31032 | (478) 986-6671
Open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

For other county departments go to:
The History of the Clerks Office and Courthouse
The Clerks Office
The Office of the Clerk of Superior Court was established in the 1798 Georgia Constitution. It is one of four constitutional officers required for each with the other three being the Sheriff, the Tax Commissioner, and the Probate Judge.
Prior to 812, Superior Court Clerks were selected by the legislature and confirmed by the Governor. In 1812, an amendment was passed that provided for the election of the Clerk (see section 419 of the 1798 Georgia Constitution) mandating that the Clerk would be accountable to the citizens of their county.
The Superior Court Clerk's main responsibility was, and is, to maintain the official filings of the Superior Court (both civil and criminal) and all land transactions. Over the years, the role of the Clerk has expanded to include (in some jurisdictions, but not all) serving as Clerk of the Juvenile Courts, Clerk of Magistrate Court, Jury Clerk, administration of oaths, maintaining an attorney registry, maintain a trade name register, DD-maintaining an index of 214 military discharges, acting as a passport agent, and many other duties.
The most important role of the Jones County Superior Court Clerk is providing support to the citizens of Jones County.
For more information on the current Georgia Constitution and past iterations, please go to https://digitalcommons.law.uga.edu/ga_constitutions/index.4.html#year_1777

Current Jones County Courthouse
The Evolution of the Courthouse
1807
The first courthouse in Jones County used the private residence of William Jones which was built in 1803.
1809
The second courthouse was a temporary wooden structure built in1809. In October of 1809, the grand jury found that the structure was inadequate and one would need to be built that would be "more convenient and lasting." (Jones Co History)
.jpg)
William Jones Residence from The History of Jones County 1805 to 1907 by Caroline White

Jones County Jail built in 1842 https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/vg2/id/8818/rec/17
1818
The third courthouse, commissioned to be built in 1809, was completed in 1818. It was a two story brick building with a basement that was used as a jail. Jacob Hutchings, an accomplished stone mason, slave, and later Representative, used native granite to construct the building. (Jones Co History)

Third Jones County Courthouse in a dilapidated state in 1913

Third Jones County Courthouse
1905

Jones County Jail built in 1842 https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/vg2/id/8818/rec/17
The current courthouse structure was finished in 1905. Designed by J. W. Golucke, the courthouse features Romanesque styling featuring a cross plan with turrets on the corners, a three stage clock featuring an open belvedere, pyramidal cap, Corinthian pilasters, pressed metal ceilings in he main rotunda and courtroom, and a round arched entrance. Golucke designed twenty courthouses across Georgia with several still in use. Tragically, Golucke took is life two years later while in the Baker Co Jail. The contract to build the jail and courthouse was let on July 25, 1905 to the Atlanta fireproofing company for $35,000. The county purchased the land on August 2, 1905.

Jones County Jail built in 1842 https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/vg2/id/8818/rec/17
Large granite stones taken from the jail in Clinton were used to build the retaining wall around the courthouse reminding citizens of Jacob Hutchings who originally mined the granite.​

Jones County Jail built in 1842 https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/vg2/id/8818/rec/17
Until 1929, a wooden passageway connected the original jail to the second story of the courthouse to move prisoners between the jail and the courtroom.

Jones County Jail built in 1842 https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/vg2/id/8818/rec/17

Wooden walkway connecting the jail to the courthouse
https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/vg2/id/8818/rec/17
1969
In 1969, several additions to the sides and rear of the courthouse were made to provide more office space.
1975
In 1975, a modernized Sheriff's Office and Jail were constructed in place of the old Sheriff's residence and jail. The new structure, built with security at the forefront using steel and concrete, lacked the architectural grandness of the main courthouse, but provided the much needed jail capacity for the growing county.
1980
1992
1998
2005
In 1980, the courthouse was added to the National Historic Register
Further rehabilitation was completed in 1992 with the focus of providing quality of life improvements and modernization.
In 1998, due to the increasing need for jail space, a new jail was built near the courthouse. The old courthouse jail structure was converted into office space and currently houses the Jones County Probate Court.
Over 100 years of seasons, humidity, and use lead to a concerning lean in the courthouse's clocktower. Luckily the lean was not catastrophic and renovations to correct this lean was started in 2005.


2022
Minor repairs were completed on the aging courthouse in 2022 which brought new windows, repaired roofs, repair and painting of the brick exterior.
2025
In 2025, the lobby, offices, and main hallways were repainted with a palette of blues that reignited a sense of the regal history of the courthouse. Carpets in the main courtroom, traverser jury room, and the small courtroom were replaced.
Clerks
Pam Dixon | April 2025 | |||
Bart Jackson | ||||
F. M. Stewart, Jr | January 1941 | 1955 | ||
F. M. Stewart, Jr | January 1937 | |||
F. M. Stewart, Jr | January 1933 | |||
F. M. Stewart, Jr | January 1929 | |||
C. C. Roberts | January 1925 | December 31, 1928 | ||
C. C. Roberts | January 1, 1921 | |||
J. M. Childs | December 4, 1916 | December 1920 | ||
J. M. Childs | November 30, 1914 | |||
J. M. Childs | October 19, 1912 | |||
J. M. Childs | November 5, 1910 | |||
J. M. Childs | January 1, 1909 | |||
R. H. Kingman | November 1, 1908 | Resigned | ||
R. H. Kingman | October 17, 1904 | |||
W. W. Barron | December 31, 1904 | |||
W. W. Barron | October 13, 1900 | |||
W. W. Barron | April 9, 1898 | |||
W. W. Barron | October 16, 1896 | |||
William W. Barron | January 8, 1895 | |||
William W. Barron | January 6, 1893 | |||
R. T. Ross | January 9, 1891 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 5, 1889 | |||
R. T. Ross | January 8, 1887 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 13, 1885 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 16, 1883 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 12, 1881 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 14, 1879 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 23, 1877 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 18, 1875 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 18, 1873 | |||
R. T. Ross | May 24, 1869 | |||
Thomas J. Gibson | August 28, 1868 | |||
Roland T. Ross | January 22, 1866 | |||
R. T. Ross | February 16, 1864 | January 22, 1866 | ||
Roland T. Ross | January 1862 | February 16, 1864 | ||
Charles McCarthy | February 27, 1860 | |||
Charles McCarthy | January 12, 1858 | February 27, 1860 | ||
Charles McCarthy | January 12, 1856 | January 12, 1858 | ||
Oliver H. P. Finney | January 10, 1854 | January 12, 1856 | ||
Elbert Hutchings | January 8, 1852 | January 10, 1854 | ||
Moses R. Draper | April 12, 1850 | January 8, 1852 | ||
Charles McCarthy | January 12, 1850 | April 12, 1850 | ||
Charles McCarthy | January 22, 1848 | |||
Columbus A. Pitts | January 8, 1846 | January 22, 1848 | ||
William Moreland | November 7, 1845 | |||
Elbert Hutchings | January 5, 1844 | November 7, 1845 | ||
Elbert Hutchings | January 20, 1842 | |||
Elbert Hutchings | November 5, 1841 | January 20, 1842 | ||
William Brewer | January 10, 1840 | November 5, 1841 | ||
William Brewer | January 8, 1838 | January 10, 1840 | ||
John J. Beasley | January 9, 1836 | |||
John J. Beasley | January 9, 1834 | January 9, 1835 | ||
Charles Hutchings | January 4, 1832 | January 9, 1834 | ||
Abner F. Gibson | January 8, 1830 | January 4, 1832 | ||
Frederick Sims | January 10, 1828 | |||
Frederick Sims | January 5, 1826 | |||
Edwin Bowin | January 12, 1824 | |||
Edwin Bowin | January 8, 1822 | |||
Edwin Bowin | January 5, 1820 | |||
Green Whatley | January 12, 1818 | |||
John R. Gregory | January 3, 1816 | |||
Harrison K. Smith | January 4, 1814 | |||
John R. Gregory | October 17, 1811 | |||
John R. Gregory | October 18, 1809 | |||
John R. Gregory | February 4, 1808 |
Source: The History of Jones County Georgia for One Hundred Years, Specifically 1807 - 1907 by Carolyn White Williams, 1957







